Statistically speaking, 90% of pregnant American women will get stretch marks (to some degree) during the third trimester. I admit, I was among the lucky 10% during my first two pregnancies. I managed to escape my 9 months without a single stretch mark. I used TONS of Shea Butter during my first pregnancy, while I barely used anything during my second. (However, I did hydrate far more during my second pregnancy.) Now pregnant with my third, I’m not assuming I will be as lucky this time around. Since Week 20, I’ve been using a DIY salve that I have been LOVING! It feels incredibly soothing and has helped tremendously with my itchy belly. The below recipe is from http://WellnessMama.com (which, if you haven’t checked out her blog, it’s a must!), but with a few modifications. Here’s an amazing salve recipe to avoid and remove stretch marks:
- 1/4 cup Organic, Unrefined Shea Butter
- 1/4 cup Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Almond Oil (or Apricot Kernel)
- 1 Tablespoon Calendula Flowers (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
How to Make Stretch Marks Salve:
- If using the calendula and ginger, add to Almond Oil (or Apricot Kernel Oil) and place in a double boiler or bowl over a small pan of water.
- Bring to a simmer and heat for 30 minutes on medium low heat to incorporate the properties of the herbs.
- Strain through a metal strainer to remove herbs. (Be sure you still have at least 2 tablespoons of liquid oil left.)
- Return the oil to the double boiler. Add the Shea Butter and Coconut Oil.
- Heat until melted. Stir to incorporate.
- Remove from heat and store in small glass jar.
- Use as needed on skin before, during or after pregnancy to alleviate stretch marks and itchy belly.