Family

ADJUSTING TO TWO UNDER TWO

June 10, 2015

IMG_4482-2

Adjusting to life with two under two is a lot like getting comfortable with a hurricane and a tornado occurring at the same time. At least it was in the Ribeiro household for the first few weeks. You can prepare yourself all you want and tell yourself, “it will be manageable,” and “not that bad” with two… but there’s no way to fully know what to expect until the time comes.

Currently, the name of the game is defense. AJ is an extremely active and energetic toddler. He’s not aggressive, but because of his excitement when it comes to playing with his toys, he indirectly becomes a safety-hazard to Anders. Fortunately, Alfonso and I have developed mad defensive skills in blocking the toys and balls thrown in Anders direction. AJ is improving with being more gentle around the baby, but that’s only when he is next to and focused on Anders. Once he steps a foot away in the direction of his toys, he’s a full-out boy, and likes to play hard using every square inch of the room. (His favorite indoor activities are playing soccer at full-speed, throwing balls, using the furniture as gymnastics apparatuses, and crashing his trucks and cars off the back of the sofa and ottoman. Sound familiar to those of you with boys?)

As for Mama, I’m starting to get a bit of a routine down and learning some tricks as I go. For starters, I’ve been wearing Anders in a carrier or in my Lalabu Soothe Shirt around the house in order to be more efficient. I feel quite proud when I’m able to wear and nurse Anders while feeding AJ simultaneously. (Oh the talent!) I’ve learned the fabulous method of changing their diapers at the same time. I’ve been perfecting my routine of ensuring Anders sleeps during AJ’s only nap of the day so that I can have some ‘me’ time. And even though I haven’t taken our double stroller on its maiden voyage yet, I’m perfectly happy going for my power walks with AJ in his single stroller and Anders in my carrier.

The main challenge starts next week when we begin our summer travel schedule. (When AJ was a baby, he had traveled on over 40 flights before his first birthday! Needless to say, I mastered the art of flying with an infant.) Fortunately, our first flight experience with a toddler and an infant will be a relatively short one. I’m not too daunted by the thought, as Alfonso will be in charge of AJ and I will have Anders. Rather, I’m more concerned about the two out of nine flights in July that involve flying with my two little guys without Alfonso. (And yes, nine flights in one month… it’s a statistic I’m not proud of!) I’ve witnessed lots of mothers fly solo with their little ones. I’ve seen everything from complete train wrecks to end-of-the-flight high-fives for the mom from nearby passengers. I certainly hope to be among the latter. For those of you who have tread these waters before, feel free to share any tricks or advice that worked for you. The more the merrier!

~Angela

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Charlyn Samuel June 10, 2015 at 4:26 pm

As a stay at home mother of 4, I must say you’re doing a wonderful job! Children are the most rewarding gift from God.

• Reply Margaret June 10, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Disclaimer** – I am not a mother and have never traveled with children. Being on the other side aka… the passenger who sits next to the mom with children on a long flight, I have this to offer…
    1. Practice getting your oldest in a stroller with one hand … may sound odd but you may come across a routine that works for you prior to having be forced to do it (by yourself).
    2. Snacks and more healthy snacks for your oldest.
    3. Go to Pinterest and look for things that can occupy your oldest while traveling
    4. ASK FOR HELP…. you are not superwomen when traveling alone.
    5. Definitely board early and get situated.

Good luck this summer, I’ll be praying for safety for you and your family.

• Reply Kate Lochner June 10, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m also gearing up for the ‘2 under 2 club’, and I’m always looking for tips, tricks, and what to expect. I love how you worked the naps so you can get in some me time. I’m definitely excited for the both of them to get to the age where they can entertain each other.

• Reply Sarah June 10, 2015 at 5:30 pm

I’m due with my fourth baby, the last two will be fifteen months apart! Please post more tricks as you learn em!!!

• Reply Wanda Mellette June 10, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Wow! You’re amazing! I’ll do my best to remember to pray for you in July! You’ve got this!!

Btw, you’re a fabulous writer. Keep it up!

God bless!

• Reply L. Fox June 11, 2015 at 1:27 am

My sister’s first two boys are 19 months apart. They certainly had their moments of arguing but have always been very close. AJ will love being a big brother. I love the way you describe your experiences so far. Keep the blogs coming, when you have time, lol.

• Reply Jaclyn June 11, 2015 at 1:28 am

You’ll do great!!! I used to nanny triplets – if all fails, I can come fly with you!!!

• Reply M June 11, 2015 at 2:27 am

Congratulations on your new addition.
    How wonderful that you are able to be so proactive with two under two. I can barely manage and I am only dealing with one 92 month old. My only plane advice is snacks and let people help you. Good luck!

• Reply Angela Aguasvivas June 11, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Hi,
    I’m pleased to know that we are not alone! I too have a now 2 year old AJ and my now 4 month old Ryder. Two things in common! My name is also Angela and my oldest is AJ! Lol. Sounds like you were writing about my life minus the travel part. Thanks for the entry! I don’t have much to advise about travel but I’m sure you’ll do just fine.

• Reply Katy Brown June 12, 2015 at 1:44 am

Congratulations on the addition of Anders! Your boys are beautiful.

My advice before you take your double stroller on its maiden voyage: Practice going in and out of narrow doorways first! 🙂

• Reply Maryam alsobul June 12, 2015 at 6:56 am

First off, amazing blog. Even though I don’t have kids yet I have siblings and my mother experienced the same thing. My little brother was jealous of my youngest sister. He really is not use to having someone else be in his place of his mothers love. Just try to give equal attention to both kids and have positive reinforcement when AJ is around the baby and try to let him help you with the baby. Hope all goes well.

• Reply Jacky June 14, 2015 at 12:24 am

Remember to just enjoy this time, regardless of how tired you may get! I had 3 kids in 4 yrs (oops!) and one of the most important activities i integrated into our daily schedule was reading time. We all piled in the couch or on a bed and had a quiet storytime. The younger you start it, the more cooperative they are. As they get older, they will continue it as well. All of them are in their 20’s now and those storytime memories are some of their favorites. And…they are all very well-read and still read daily!

• Reply Vivian June 23, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Thanks for your post about 2 under 2! I myself am a mother of 2 under 2 (Son born March 2014 and daughter born April 2015), so needless to say I know how insane it can be. It’s easy to feel alone so it’s nice to hear how you are handling it. Thanks for your tips and I look forward to reading more from you!

• Reply admin June 27, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Thanks Vivian. Wow…13 months apart! You are in the VIP of the 2 under 2 club!

• Reply Ashley July 7, 2015 at 12:21 am

This was such an encouraging read! We found out recently that we will be joining the 2 under 2 Club! In fact, they’ll only be about a year apart! I’ve been reading as much as I can to prepare. It sounds like it’ll be hard work but absolutely worth it!

• Reply Angela Ribeiro July 14, 2015 at 2:02 am

Wow, 12 months apart! It is definitely challenging and crazy in the beginning, but I’ve been told countless times it will be easier in the long run. Best of luck!!